Working for us
Working for Artisan Travel
We are a happy old bunch here at Artisan and through our investment in people we have, what we think, is the best team in the country. We have a wonderfully vibrant and mixed team of all ages and welcome new staff wholeheartedly.
We're based in a converted barn in rural Northumberland and aside from a temperamental internet speed, we love where we are. There are often walks in the fields at lunchtime and trips to the local farm shop for lunch – we like to make the most of the fact that we aren't city-bound and can get out and about.
We all share a common love and passion for travel, a strong responsible ethos and work exceedingly hard to ensure that our clients receive the best possible experience.
If you would like to join our team, then please keep an eye out for any vacancies that will be advertised on this page.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with fantastic sales skills to join our vibrant team in rural Northumberland.
Reporting to our Sales Manager, your role will be to maximise the sales, revenue and profitability of The Artisan Travel Company’s products through adopting a professional manner, specialist knowledge and by offering the highest quality of service so that the customers’ needs and expectations are met and/or exceeded.
About the job
This is an exciting and dynamic role which allows you to communicate with our clients directly through emails, phone and our online chat facility, helping them to find their ideal trip.
The Artisan Travel Company consists of three brands:
The Aurora Zone - is our dedicated Northern Lights holiday company. We have built up an extensive range of trusted and knowledgeable Aurora guides and spectacular destinations across Northern Scandinavia and we are in the best possible position to help your clients achieve their dream of seeing the Northern Lights
Activities Abroad holidays are all about shared family experiences and we offer a carefully selected range of active adventures for those travelling with children. We have some magical Father Christmas experiences to offer at Christmas, as well as a range of multi-activity holidays in the winter and the summer.
Artisan Travel - offers experiential adventures across Europe including winter adventures in the Nordic regions, Scandinavian summer holidays, trips in the Atlantic Islands of The Azores and Madeira, and small ship cruises in lesser-known areas of the Mediterranean.
- To sell the complete range of The Artisan Travel Company’s products
- To achieve weekly, monthly sales and revenue targets as agreed with Sales Manager
- To maximise revenue generation
- To be adaptable with sales focus to the needs of the business and directly sell into campaigns and sales incentives
- To maximise revenue by meeting and exceeding customer needs and expectations
- To build rapport with clients and maintain their confidence throughout the sales conversation.
- Use personal travel experience and product training to provide excellent advice to customers
- Take full responsibility for the administration and ongoing support of your bookings and keep clients informed of its progress
- Support colleagues’ customers to ensure that they receive an excellent level of customer service in the absence of their Travel Expert.
- To respond to customer enquiries in an efficient and timely manner ensuring the company KPI’s are met.
- Handle any complaints in a professional manner and immediately inform the Sales Manager and Customer Service Coordinator
- To work as an efficient member of the team across all departments
- To ensure that the best interests of the company are put before personal sales goals/targets
- Proactively seek to enhance your own personal development
- After initial training to pro-actively develop personal product knowledge through reading and research
- To take part in training sessions to enhance product knowledge and be aware of any new product
The following are standard responsibilities for all positions within the company:
- Contribute to a positive working atmosphere and to the generation of good morale
- Cover other positions in the company as directed.
- Contribute to and attend meetings and training sessions as required
- Contribute to regular reports as requested or necessary for the role
- Participate in any staff review processes
- Take appropriate responsibilities to ensure the health and safety of self and others
- Pursue the achievement of equal opportunities throughout the company
- Undertake any other tasks, roles and responsibilities as the company requires you to do irrespective of the level of the task
- A confident communicator who can work well under pressure
- Must have excellent verbal and written English skills in order to provide comprehensive responses to clients
- A positive and enthusiastic person with exceptional attention to detail
- Our candidate should have the ability to work well within a small and close-knit team, whilst also being able to manage their own workload and use their initiative
- Exceptional organisational and prioritisation skills are required
- Confident with IT, particularly Excel
- Access to a car is essential due to our rural location
What can you expect in return?
- A vibrant office environment in rural Northumberland
- 35 hours per week working on a monthly rota to include at least one Saturday (a day off in the week will be given in lieu) and at least one late-night Thursday
- A group pension scheme and staff travel insurance
- Discounts on holidays
- Permanent contract (following 3-month probation)
- A competitive salary of £18—£20k (plus bonus and incentives) depending on experience
Please note that our Responsible Travel policy dictates that we put as much into the economies where we work as possible. This means that we always employ local people in the countries in which we operate. Consequently, we do not have overseas employment opportunities except for seasonal work as representatives.
Your main role will be to act as the face of Activities Abroad, Artisan Travel and The Aurora Zone in the resort and provide guests with an exceptional service and ensure the smooth running of their holidays (to the best of your ability).
- Meeting and greeting guests at the airport or on arrival at the hotel (whenever possible)
- Organising and hosting welcome meetings for all guests and providing them with a welcome pack on arrival detailing key information required in the resort (sometimes for up to 50 people). There may be numerous arrivals on one day meaning you may need to divide duties.
- Manage your workload and divide it accordingly to ensure the best service is provided to guests. Ensuring that guests are always able to contact you in emergencies.
- Facilitating, arranging and selling additional activities
- Responding to clients' queries (this will involve being on duty at set times each day in each destination)
- Handling client issues, such as lost luggage or passports, allegations of theft or other crimes, problems with rooms and health problems, injuries or even deaths
- Dealing with unforeseen 'non-client' problems, e.g. flight delays, coach strikes, weather conditions;
- Resolving any conflict with or between clients in the resort where possible and liaising with suppliers and UK office to provide swift resolution.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with local suppliers and guides, liaising with the suppliers to ensure all arrangements are in place and are seamlessly provided.
- Maintaining an in-depth knowledge of the resort and the local area in order to answer clients' questions, you will be given time at start of season to do so and will build your knowledge throughout your time
- Checking hotel standards and safety procedures in line with the documentation we will provide you with
- Completing risk assessments and health and safety checks as required.
- Keeping basic accounts and records of expenses (you will be provided with credit cards for this purpose)
- Reporting to the UK office about improvements and suggestions at the end of stay in Finland or during if appropriate
- Helping compile training for any future representatives in the area
- Applicants must have a full, clean UK driving license