Top tips for Tromsø
Both our Islands and Fjords of Northern Norway and our 10 day Self Drive holiday give free time to enjoy the city. Many members of our team have enjoyed time in Tromsø and they have compiled their favourite experiences.
1. A walk around the harbour – this fascinating working harbour is always busy and you’ll see a range of Arctic fishing vessels, day boats, cruise ships and sometimes even expedition vessels down at the port.
2. Café culture and dining delights – spend some time enjoying some of the many cafés and restaurants available in the city. There are some exceptional dining experiences to enjoy.
3. Pop into Polaria – this Arctic aquarium is fascinating and offers an insight into the local landscape and wildlife.
4. Visit the Arctic Cathedral – using your hire car the cathedral’s striking architecture is within very easy reach.
5. Enjoy a midsummer concert - these take place each year and you can find details of what is available online or at the tourist information centre.
6. The cable-car ride up Mount Storsteinen – this trip is well worth it for the summit views alone. Looking back over the city, the islands and fjords are a spectacular sight.
7. Head out on a glacier hike – during our Islands and Fjords holiday it is possible for us to arrange for you to enjoy a walk on a nearby glacier which is an incredible experience.
8. The Polar Museum - if you want a glimpse into the realities of polar expeditions then head to this museum. There are exhibits relating to some of the most famous of Arctic explorers.